HighScape stands for “High efficiency, high power density, cost effective, scalable and modular power electronics and control solutions for electric vehicles.”
Partners on the project will explore the feasibility of a family of highly efficient power electronics components and systems, and including integrated traction inverters, on-board chargers, DC/DC converters, and electric drives for auxiliaries and actuators. The proposed solutions will be assessed on test rigs and on two differently sized BEV prototypes.
The project will result in:
- component integration with the incorporation of the WBG traction inverters within the in-wheel machines to achieve zero footprint of the electric powertrain on the sprung mass;
- novel solutions, including the implementation of reconfigurable winding topologies of the drive, as well as integrated and predictive thermal management at the vehicle level;
- the achievement and demonstration of significantly higher levels of power density, specific power and energy efficiency for the resulting power electronics systems and related drives;
- major cost reductions thanks to the dual use of parts, subsystem modularity, and model-based design to eliminate overengineering; and
- increased dependability and reliability of the power electronics systems, enabled by design and intelligent predictive health monitoring algorithms.
Through HighScape, the participants will establish new knowledge and industrial leadership in key digital technologies, and, therefore, directly contribute to Europe’s Key Strategic Orientations as well as actively support the transformation towards zero tailpipe emission road mobility (2Zero).
Elpahe will be able to provide integration of novel in-wheel direct drive and WBG-based power electronics and test the performance as well as support the development of software, design and provide guidance on the features of next-generation IWMs, to ensure that the integrated electric drive family meets the functional safety requirements
HighScape is a Research and Innovation Action focusing on four main objectives:
- Objective 1: Scalable wide-bandgap-based power electronics solutions integrated in in-wheel direct drive electric machines, battery system and chassis actuators
- Objective 2: Improved power density, packaging, energy efficiency, performance, and thermal management
- Objective 3: Cost reduction and increased affordability of high-performance power electronics components
- Objective 4: Enhanced functional safety, fault-tolerance, predictive maintenance, EMI/EMC performance, and holistic simulation-based design and validation approaches
Project coordinator: AVL List Gmbh
Partners: Universiteit Gent, Politecnico Di Torino, Technische Universitaet Ilmenau, University Of Surrey, Blueways International Bvba, Elaphe Pogonske Tehnologije d.o.o., Tenneco Automotive Europe Bvba, Avl Thermal and Hvac Gmbh, Audi Aktiengesellsc haft, Tofas Turk Otomobil Fabrikasi Anonim Sirketi
GA number: 101056824
Project start date: 1.1.2023
Project end date: 31.12.2025